This Page

has been moved to new address

Smiley Face Cookies!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Keeping up with The Cantelmo's: Smiley Face Cookies!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Smiley Face Cookies!

Today was a long day at work with a good ending. (As I write this I am cuddling on the couch with my hubby). 
I work with kids in community mental health and rarely do I see a happy ending. Because I am getting ready to go on maternity leave, I am trying to close out as many cases that I can and transfer the rest. Today I closed a case and it had a happy ending.  I have been working with a brother (5 years old) and a sister (6 years old) for almost 9 months now. I was called on the case to teach the kids positive touch. Both children were sexually abused for years and receiving therapy through Child Help. Besides being sexually abused, the kids were both diagnosed with ADHD, PTSD and RAD. They also were placed in multiple foster homes until being adopted roughly 2 years ago. When I first started working with the kids, they struggled to even give each other hugs because all touch was negative. Today we were able to review good touch and bad touch. The sister was even able to talk about asking permission to touch someone before you actually touch them! It was really exciting for me to hear! Her brother still struggles to hear praise, but now he is able to receive praise without hiding in shame. I told him how proud I was of him today and he continued to look at me in my eyes, rather than put his head down. The kids graduated from therapy last month and now they are closing out with my services. It is nice to see kids  succeed when no one thought they would be able to succeed. I brought them each a cookie with a smiley face on it showing them that when I thought of them, it made me smile. Brother ate it all up and sister took slow bites. It was fun spending this last visit with them celebrating their accomplishments. The kids still have a long way to go and will still have struggles.....but I know that they have made progress and it is a good reminder that there still is hope!
I get so burnt out by my job and these are great reminders that  God has a plan for each of our lives no matter where we have been or what we have been through!







1 Comments:

At March 4, 2011 at 4:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel, this is very cute!! :)
~Loretta

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home