This Page

has been moved to new address

Christmas

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Keeping up with The Cantelmo's: Christmas

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Christmas

Matthew 1:21-23
She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.” All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet:  ”Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us).


I love Christmas, but so often we miss what Christmas is all about.
We get caught up in Christmas decorations, Christmas pictures, sending out the perfect Christmas letter, visiting Santa, Christmas lights and presents. We miss the whole Christmas story. We miss the gift that God gave us. We miss the true meaning of Christmas.
My family moved from Canada to Arizona in 1991. Our first Christmas season here didn’t feel like Christmas. There was no snow, no furniture in our house and no Christmas decorations. My mom wanted to make Christmas special, so we decided to make our own Christmas tree out of paper and be creative with decorations. My sister and I gathered all our Cabbage Patch kids and made a nativity scene. My sister’s special Cabbage Patch doll Andy played baby Jesus. I remember thinking how honored Andy was to get to be baby Jesus. I would stare at the baby dolls all set up and day dream what it was like to be Mary.
That same year our church did a Christmas musical and my role was to play Mary. I just needed to stand during one song pretending to be Mary. I didn't have any lines, I just had to stand there and pretend. I remember looking at the baby doll in the manger and wanting to hold him so bad (they told me not to). I felt on top of the world being able to pretend I was Mary for that short period of time.

Christmas day came and went. We got our presents and spent time together with our little family. I don’t remember the presents I got, I don’t remember visiting Santa, I don’t remember special cookies or treats, I only remember how excited I was about that baby in the manger.
Now that I am a mom, I want my kids to understand what Christmas is all about. It’s not about the presents, or Santa, or the lights, or decorations (even though that is so much fun), it’s about God sending His son to save us. It’s about His love for us. He loves us so much.

This year we don’t have much. We can barely pay our bills. Our decorations aren’t up yet and buying gifts feels stressful (even though it shouldn’t be) because we don’t have much money. Sometimes I feel sorry for myself because I can’t give my kids an over the top Christmas, send out beautiful Christmas cards and buy lots of amazing presents for people. Today when I found myself getting stuck in that pity party God reminded me of that special Christmas when I was 8 and how I understood that this little baby Jesus came to save me. That is what I want for my kids. For them to remember our family focusing on Jesus. The true meaning of Christmas. 
{source} 
Don't forget to enter this giveaway here and another one here

Photobucket

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At December 8, 2011 at 12:40 AM , Anonymous Renee said...

Awesome post!! I hope i can teach my boy the same!!

 
At December 8, 2011 at 5:50 AM , Blogger Katie said...

Thanks for your comment - that is so strange. When I logged on this morning it now has only 2 followers show up. I'm so confused what happened??

I have that subway art printed and in a frame. : )

 
At December 8, 2011 at 3:01 PM , Blogger Cherry said...

Linking up after you at Faith Barista - beautiful post! What special memories you have from when you were young - and it sounds like you are blessing your children with the same.

 
At December 8, 2011 at 9:42 PM , Blogger Katie said...

But a beautiful and refreshing post! Definitely important to remember the real reason for the season :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home