This Page

has been moved to new address

Getting out of a funk

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Keeping up with The Cantelmo's: Getting out of a funk

Monday, December 26, 2011

Getting out of a funk

Every once and a while I get into a funk.
I think many of us do.
You know the feeling. 
Life gets a little overwhelming.
The to-do list is way bigger than the done list.
Hanging out in your jammies seems more appealing
than getting up and actually getting stuff done.
Even the things that make you happy gets pushed to the side.

To be honest, I have been in a little bit of a funk.
I wouldn’t say I am depressed.
*On a side note, if you are struggling with depression
please talk to a doctor or a counselor.
Someone professional who can help you deal with depression.
I’m just in a little bit of a funk.
I feel like rightfully so.

Sometimes when we go through hard times
or even not hard times but life changes.
We get kind of stuck. Or get a little blue.
When I was evaluating the situation I am in
it completely makes sense why I feel the way I do
(here is a list of reasons why I get into my little funk
yours may be different – these are just mine)
-       Lack of sleep
-       Not having regular friend time
(due to the many sicknesses going on in our family)
-       Not having time alone with God
(besides in the bathroom lol)
-       Not having time outside in the sun
(Yes, I can not stand cold weather so I have been hiding out)
-       Lots of stress
-       Not eating healthy
-       No time for me time (sad face)

I want to share with you what I do to get out of a funk.
Maybe it is the same for you, maybe not.
But these are just some things I have learned along the way.
Believe me, I am no expert. This is just from personal experience.

1.    I try to pray about it, even if I don’t feel like it. God already knows how I am feeling He just wants me to tell Him.
2.    Share that I am going through a hard time or in the funk (as I call it) with someone else. You feel less alone this way and people are more willing to pray for you or help you when they know how they can meet this need 
(most likely they have been there).
3.    Fill my mind up with God’s truth and not let all the other junk get in. This is obviously more challenging but SO worth it.
4.    Force myself to get out of my house – spending 20 minutes in the sun everyday helps lifts my mood
5.    Exercise even if it’s just walking the dogs or going on a bike ride. 
This always makes me feel so much better.
6.    Ask, beg, plead, barter and ask again for someone to watch my kids so I can have some me time. At first I felt guilty taking time for myself but now I realize for me to be a good mom I have to take time for myself.
7.    Set boundaries around my night – I am SO guilty of this. As soon as my kids go down I catch up with e-mails, watch a good show, and read. Next thing I know it’s 1am and I only get a few hours of sleep. So I am telling myself right now, “Melanie the e-mails can wait, the shows will be there another day, sleep is the most important. Go to bed at 10pm.” (yes I am silly but if I give my kids a bedtime I might as well give myself one – the goal a happier Melanie)
8.    Eat healthier. When I get in a funk cooking is not my friend. Ok, well cooking is never my friend. But when I am in a little funk grocery shopping seems overwhelming and usually doesn’t get done. If you know me I am always chowing down on some fruit or veggies (I love them so much) but if I don’t get to the grocery store there aren’t any fresh fruits. We all suffer. I usual choose a less healthy snack and dinner is something quick and not so healthy.
9.    Have some fun time with a friend. Maybe getting together to do a craft or meeting up just to chat. Whatever it is, connecting is key. Lately I have found it hard to work schedules around meeting up with friends (or my kids have been sick so long play dates are out of the picture)
 but my husband has worked as a good substitute.
This picture was taken right after Luke was born. 
Just goes to show I have not hung out with a friend in forever!!
10. Going to church. I just love going to church, worshipping, fellowshipping and chit chatting with friends. This has been a hard season for us as we have been looking for a church like crazy. We finally found one and the pastor leaves. We decided to wait it out for a new pastor but then my kids have been non stop sick and I really don’t want to be “that mom” who brings her kids with green running noses (although I have been tempted).
11. Having fun time with my kids. Laughing, giggling and just having fun. That always makes me happy.

Those are just a few ways I try to get back on track.
Oh and to take the advice of my husband
“take one day at a time”
and my advice to myself is to give myself grace.

I want to share with you something that I read out of
Jesus Calling by Sarah Young
(if you have the devotional its January 13th)
Try to view each day as an adventure, carefully planned out by your Guide.
Instead of staring into the day that is ahead of you, attempting to program it according to your will, be attentive to Me and to all I have prepared for you. Thank Me for this day of life, that I am with you each moment, whether you sense My Presence or not. A thankful, trusting attitude helps you to see events in your life from My perspective.
A life lived close to Me will never be dull or predictable. Expect each day to contain surprises! Resist your tendency to search for the easiest route through the day. Be willing to follow wherever I lead. No matter how steep or treacherous the path before you, the safest place to be is by My side.

1 Peter 2:21
 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

I love reading Jesus Calling, it has made me see God in a new light.
Also so convicting. Which is good right?

What ways do you get out of a funk?
Please know that if you are depressed or sad with no motivation, please seek help from a doctor or counselor. 
ps- Christmas post to come
and don't forget this giveaway!!

Miscellany Monday @
lowercase letters





Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At December 26, 2011 at 1:31 AM , Blogger Polkadot-pretties said...

I can totally relate to you  {sending you hugs and love}
I thinking life can be totally overwhelming at times, there are so many things to do and people to take care of, sometimes we tend to forget about the person that more often than not keeps everything together....
I know me and my friend seem to spend less and less time together of late, which is sad..
Just wanted you to know, you not alone.

Claire xoxo

 
At December 26, 2011 at 10:50 AM , Blogger Hanna said...

I'm so sorry you in a funk. I am often too. a few weeks ago my husband lost his job and my father passed away int he same week. So it ends up with me gettin gin a huge fight with my sister and having to work overtime:( UGH!!!!!! I totally feel you. I am also much more prone to deoression in the winter. It;s my cycle. I am trying to exercise as muchg as possible to keep the depression at bay!!!! Thinking of you. Hope you had a merry CHristams

xoxoxoo hanna

 
At December 26, 2011 at 11:24 AM , Blogger Angie said...

I read this right on time. You are def not alone, and clearly neither am I. I am feeling it sister! We have been in our new city for a few months now and I missing having friends around big time. XO

 
At December 26, 2011 at 12:38 PM , Blogger Erin said...

I love Jesus Calling. So amazing to sit in a quiet place and allow God to speak to you :) Hope you are feeling better and get some time for yourself soon. I love to go work out when I am down...it gets me energized and in a good mood :)

 
At December 26, 2011 at 2:09 PM , Anonymous Renee said...

Love the excerpt from the devotional! I, too, can easily descend into a funk and need to remember that God gives each day as a gift. Thanks for sharing your pics and daily details. Blessings!

 
At December 26, 2011 at 4:06 PM , Blogger KERRY said...

This was a great post Melanie and it is great you are aware of how to get out of your funk. I too get like that, it's not fun to say the least!
Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family!!
Thanks for sharing :)

 
At December 27, 2011 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Modern Day Disciple said...

Melanie, I am in my jammies as I write this at 10:39 am! I loved this post and am so glad I stopped by your blog! I can relate and love the way you articulated your feelings...and slanted positive in the end. I have been a bit Funk Fighting myself since I lost my job ( = 50 percent of our income) in June! By the way I am very jealous of your beautiful hair! OK, just had to get that off my chest! I love Jesus Calling and want to let you know I am having a giveaway of a Jesus Calling Devotional Bible- you might want to stop by and enter! Forgive my ADHD comment, will you? In His Grace, Dawn

 
At December 27, 2011 at 10:45 AM , Blogger Shane Prather said...

Keep your head up girl, it sounds like you have a lot going for you in this wonderful life :) You are not alone, feel free to reach out anytime! Loving your heartfelt posts, I would love to display your button on my site for the new year if you don't mind :)

xo Shane
shaneprather.blogspot.com

 
At December 27, 2011 at 10:49 AM , Blogger Shanda said...

Thank you for this. I am in a funk right now and have been for about two months so I am going to take some of these suggestions.

 
At December 28, 2011 at 9:09 AM , Anonymous Renee said...

I can relate and actually wrote a similar post! Thanks for sharing so many practical, encouraging ideas. Blessings!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home