This Page

has been moved to new address

I'm thankful for how my husband loves my little girl

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Keeping up with The Cantelmo's: I'm thankful for how my husband loves my little girl

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I'm thankful for how my husband loves my little girl

The other day I was browsing through my wedding photos.
I came across some pictures of
a special moment that I won’t ever forget.
Our sand ceremony
Like most people do at their wedding, we did a unity candle.
We decided to do a sand ceremony representing all of us becoming one family.
 I have shared with you all some of my story.
One day I promise I will share my love story.
I had Grace as a single mom. Anthony and I had Olivia together before we were married. We got married when Olivia was 4 months old. 
It wasn’t ideal. Not how we planned it.
But God is a redeeming God. He is forgiving and loves us in spite of our mistakes. He is so good.
Now we are trying hard to do things the right way.
 Before Anthony and I got engaged. Anthony took me on a date for Valentines Day. During dinner Anthony told me that all his life he wanted to adopt a baby because he was adopted. He went on to tell me that he was excited to one day adopt Grace. I was shocked. I knew he loved her. I knew that he loved caring for her. But I had no idea that he wanted to be her daddy. He wanted to love her like she was his. He wanted her to be his. 
A month later Anthony asked me to marry him and of course I said yes!

 So at our wedding we wanted to make sure Grace felt like she was joining our family. That it wasn’t just mom and Anthony getting married. It was all of us, mom, Anthony, Olivia and Grace becoming a family. 
It was special.

 After Anthony and I did the unity candle. My mom brought Grace up and my mother in law brought Olivia up (notice Olivia was asleep at this point). Grace poured her sand into the vase, Olivia (well Kim) poured her sand into the vase and Anthony and I poured our sand into the vase together. 
It represented our family becoming one.

After the sand ceremony Anthony took a special vow. He vowed to love Grace as his own daughter. He vowed to care for her, teach her about Jesus, show her God’s love and be there for her. It was so touching. 
I don’t think there was a dry eye in the church.
I love him so much. When he loves my daughter like his own. It makes me fall more in love with him.
 Having a blended family isn’t easy. Before Anthony, it was just Grace and I. I dated a little but not much. She had my full attention. It wasn’t easy for her to share me. And before Anthony and I got married, he was a bachelor for 28 years. Needless to say there was a lot of adjusting on all of our parts. With God, we somehow managed.
Anthony does special things for Grace. He will take Grace on a date night, have Nurf gun wars with her and play games together. It is nice having a man that fights for me and fights for my our daughter.
We have our good days and our bad days. Just like all parents do. On the rough days, I like to look back on that special moment where we poured sand into a vase representing our family becoming one.
Grace still calls it the day we married daddy.
I'm linking up with Kelly's Korner
Don't forget to enter the Ruby Jean Purse Giveaway!


Photobucket







The Fontenot Four


Photobucket
Photobucket






Labels: , ,

28 Comments:

At December 28, 2011 at 11:38 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I love this post. As someone who also had a daughter as a single mother and met someone who fell in love with me and with my daughter I know what it's like. At our wedding we also did a unity sand ceremony and included her in it.

 
At December 28, 2011 at 11:47 PM , Anonymous Brooke @ Covered in Grace said...

Hi =) I found you through the "5 minutes just for me" Pinterest party just now.

I just wanted to say that you have a beautiful family and a wonderful blog here.

This post is fantastic!
I definitely agree... God is a redeeming God. He has a way of blessing us and setting things into motion even when we can't see it.
My husband and I were married when our 1st daughter was 6 months old. It wasn't the "plan", but her arrival- at the time she did come- was a blessing in so many ways.

Thanks for sharing!
You've hooked me in one post. Ha!
Going to "follow" now.

 
At December 29, 2011 at 12:11 AM , Blogger Noelani said...

I am right there with Jennifer's comment above. It's an amazing feeling. This post brought tears to my eyes.

 
At December 29, 2011 at 12:23 AM , Blogger AudreyLinden said...

I'm so glad you found Anthony. He is such a special addition to our family. Even though we aren't aroud all of the time, I'm enjoying getting to know him (and Olivia and Luke) a little more each time. It is so important that you found someone who loves Grace anderstands her.

Love you all so much,
(Auntie) Audrey

 
At December 29, 2011 at 12:41 AM , Blogger Erin said...

This was the sweetest post. :) You found an amazing man and father girl!

 
At December 29, 2011 at 2:24 AM , Blogger Polkadot-pretties said...

what a touching and heart warming post... Not to mention you look beautiful...

Claire x

 
At December 29, 2011 at 4:59 AM , Blogger Shane Prather said...

Such BEAUTIFUL wedding pictures. Your daughter is beautiful as well :)

xo Shane

 
At December 29, 2011 at 5:14 AM , Blogger Diane Writes said...

Hi Melanie! Greetings from the Philippines. :)

I discovered your blog from Vivian, as a result of the feature. I was amazed by your strength and the simple words of wisdom you shared. And now, as I am reading this entry, I admiring your life story more. The pictures and the words you presented all capture powerful emotions. I wish you all the best in 2012 Melanie! And like you, I hope I find my real love story too. :-)

By the way, if it is not too much to ask, I'd like to invite you to join my giveaway
http://dianewantstowrite.blogspot.com/2011/12/its-giveaway-time.html

I hope we could get to know each other better. All the best!

 
At December 29, 2011 at 6:33 AM , Blogger Sarah Kate said...

This was such a moving post for me! My husband also adopted my 2-year-old daughter after we got married. It's been so long now (she's almost 10!!) that sometimes I forget he isn't her biological father. But I should never forget it. He made a HUGE decision adopting my girl. That couldn't have been easy, especially since we have no other children. Your post reminded me to be grateful again that he made that choice, completing our family. :o) I'm so happy you found one of the good guys, too! ;o) Happy 2012 to you, my dear!

 
At December 29, 2011 at 8:17 AM , Blogger Liz @ The Blue Eyed Owl said...

So sweet. I have a very similar story. My daughter and I married my husband when she was 4. You would never know she isn't his...

 
At December 29, 2011 at 8:39 AM , Blogger Catie said...

What a wonderful guy, I love this story. It brought tears to my eyes.

 
At December 29, 2011 at 9:44 AM , Blogger Angie said...

Great story to share Melanie. Real people living real life because its not always simple.

 
At December 29, 2011 at 9:51 AM , Blogger The Dayleys said...

This is one of the most beautiful posts I've read in a long time. Thank you for sharing this story with us. The love, beauty, the joining of families... it's absolutely perfect. The photography is breath taking as well.

 
At December 29, 2011 at 10:41 AM , Blogger Ruby Jean said...

Melanie this was such a Blessing to read.. And yes we Serve a GRACIOUS God!! Who is Faithful even when were Faithless... He knows our Frame and that we are but Dust.. Psalm 103: 12-14

 
At December 29, 2011 at 11:13 AM , OpenID folkhaven said...

Oh... the day we married daddy... so incredibly sweet!

 
At December 29, 2011 at 11:28 AM , Blogger Sarah {the fontenot four} said...

Awww...this is so beautiful! Brings a tear to my eye. Gorgeous family!

 
At December 29, 2011 at 10:10 PM , Blogger Gina said...

Reading this really made me tear up. Thanks for sharing. You have a beautiful family

 
At December 29, 2011 at 11:18 PM , Blogger Kristine Foley @ TheFoleyFam said...

Beautiful post girl! Love learning more about you and your family. Thank you for sharing!

 
At December 30, 2011 at 11:46 AM , Blogger Sharla said...

Yes, I definitely cried when Anthony said his vows to Grace!!

 
At December 30, 2011 at 1:03 PM , Blogger hannahstiff said...

I just found your blog and it just makes me happy! I love your down to earth approach to your wedding. It was so beautiful still! And I'm sure you saved a bundle:) I love that you share your faith,too. What an adorable little family you have. I've got a 5-month-old daughter I just love:! So fun to find other mom bloggers! Anyways, just started following your blog. Stop by, say hi and follow back if you feel compelled:)
real budget, real busy, real body fashion:
4scarlet.com

 
At December 30, 2011 at 11:40 PM , Blogger Andy and Kiara said...

This post made me cry! :) The story of God's redemption in your lives is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it so candidly. What a gift!

 
At January 1, 2012 at 9:24 PM , Blogger Emily Makes Six said...

I happened upon your blog tonight and what a blessing this post is. The beauty in your transparency touched my heart and to see how God has blessed your daughter with such a wonderful daddy is such a testimony to his grace and love. Thank you for sharing!

 
At January 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM , Blogger Emily Makes Six said...

I happened upon your blog tonight and what a blessing this post is. The beauty in your transparency touched my heart and to see how God has blessed your daughter with such a wonderful daddy is such a testimony to his grace and love. Thank you for sharing!

 
At January 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM , Blogger kinze said...

aw what a precious story ... thank you for sharing!

 
At January 3, 2012 at 7:20 AM , Anonymous bad credit loans said...

What a cute story, this was the sweetest pictures. Thanks for sharing..

 
At January 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM , Blogger Kasey said...

That's so sweet. You found a really great guy : )

 
At January 7, 2012 at 4:28 AM , Blogger Polkadot-pretties said...

Love this Post :)

Thank you for linking up to my “Craft, Create and Inspire” linky paty...

Hope you will stop by today and link up your favourite post from the past week..

Claire x

 
At January 15, 2012 at 7:02 PM , Blogger Monologues of a Mommy said...

Hi there! This is a beautiful post. And so inspiring. I have a daughter, 15 months, and her father and I are not yet married. We're engaged and planning our wedding. But I'm glad to know that I am not alone. We didn't exactly plan for things to go in this order, but I do believe that everything happens for a reason. I am also tagging you in tonight's post. Check it out here: http://www.monologuesofamommy.com/2012/01/tag-youre-it.html

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home