This Page

has been moved to new address

A wedding on a budget

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Keeping up with The Cantelmo's: A wedding on a budget

Thursday, December 29, 2011

A wedding on a budget

When Anthony and I got engaged.
We decided to get married shortly after.
Like 6 weeks later!!!
 I had a very small budget for our wedding.
$2,000
The budget seemed scary.
But I never wanted to waste tons of money on a wedding.
It was only one day.
 Unfortunately my church was booked. So I picked a cute church that I found driving up Scottsdale Road called Black Mountain Community Church.
I fell in love with the church when I saw it had wood pews and how there was a beautiful view of the Black Mountains.
The pastor gave me an amazing deal. I was thrilled.

 Anthony only wanted two grooms men, so I only had two bridesmaids, a junior  bridesmaid and two flower girls.  Since I had a small bridal party, I saved on flowers and their bridal gifts. Also to save money,
I bought them the necklaces that they were to wear on the wedding day.
 

By the way, I got Olivia's dress at Gymboree for $30 and her bow at Nordstroms' for $10

As far as little details, like decorating. I was stressed.
I knew how I wanted it but I had no clue how to put it all together.
Thankfully, my mom has an amazingly talented friend Katie who took care of every detail.
I showed Katie pictures of how I wanted my wedding
to look and she took care of the rest.
She was a gift from God!
She also gave me some amazing marriage advice.
She blessed me more than she will ever know!!!
Love her.








Wedding pictures are crazy expensive.
I noticed that one of my friends always had beautiful pictures of her kids on facebook. Then I started seeing her post things on facebook about how she was assisting a photographer to make extra money. I took a chance and asked her to shoot my wedding. My wedding was her first wedding ever!
Carlee did such an amazing job. I’m so glad I trusted her.
She also took Luke’s birth pictures and his newborn pictures.
You can visit her website here.




As far as make up goes. I knew I couldn’t afford much.
So I contacted my friend Mariana who had just finished cosmetology school.
She did such a great job on my hair and make up.
I wish I could have her get me ready everyday!
Check out her website here.
Another expense at weddings is the food.
I never like catered wedding food so I decided to go with one of Anthony’s favorite restaurants Oregano’s.
I picked two of Anthony’s favorite pastas and his favorite salad.
Oregano’s also did appetizers for our guests to eat while we took pictures.
It worked out great and only cost $900!!

I also really wanted a candy bar. My friend Katie had a lot of the items to put the candy bar together, which saved us tons of money. Every time there was a sale, Katie loaded up on candy. The total cost of the candy bar was $75.







 There was a lady at church who makes cakes and offered to make our wedding cake. We paid her money for all the supplies and she didn’t charge us any extra. It was such a blessing. I told her the type of cake I liked and had her surprise me with the rest. It turned out lovely.
For music a friend from church played the piano while I walked down the isle.
It was so nice and such a blessing to us.
During the ceremony we played a song that both Anthony and I forgot. Ha!
As we were leaving the church we played
“Today was a fairytale” by Taylor Swift.

We couldn’t afford a DJ and the room where the reception was in was BEYOND small so dancing wasn’t an option (sad face). So Anthony and I made a mix of all of our favorite songs to play during dinner.

We had a lot of kids at our wedding. So I decided that it was necessary to have babysitters. We made a little room for the kids and put on the door “Grace and Olivia’s reception.” I can’t remember how much our sitters charged but I know the price was well worth it since they helped us SO much and the kids had a blast!!
 Oh and I almost forgot! Our invitations. One of my friends gets wholesale invitations. Instead of doing a traditional invitation, we decided to do a picture of Anthony and I on the day we were engaged. We also saved money by having guests RSVP by e-mail. Not very formal but it worked well with my budget. The invitations cost about $100 and they turned out great!

Since I started looking for my wedding dress one month before my wedding, I was left with very few options. I tried on a lot of dresses but I could not find one I liked because I still had about 40 pounds to lose and I was nursing. Finally I found a dress I kind of liked. (I almost got a new one a few days before the wedding because I didn’t like my dress). The dress only cost $100 but with alterations it ended up being around $200. My shoes and veil were an additional $180. (maybe less I can't rememer)


 I budgeted in the bridesmaids’ dresses, their shoes and flower girl dresses into our budget. My sister was very pregnant at our wedding, so we had to go with a maternity dress. Thankfully I got it on sale at Nordstrom’s for only $75! Their shoes were on sale for only $25! And they loved them! Thank goodness.

My little sisters dress was a cute dress we got from Dillard’s. Since she was going to wear it for her graduation my parents didn’t include it in my budget. The flower girls dresses I found online. They weren’t very expensive either because I got them on sale. I think they turned out pretty cute.

We also included Anthony’s suit and his wedding band in our budget.
His wedding band was around $100 and his suit was about $100. Well Men’s Warehouse was having a deal where he could get two suits for $200. So I factored that into the budget too. Shhhhh don’t tell my dad!

As you could tell I had to be very frugal at my wedding.
But really, I feel satisfied with the way it turned out.
The only thing I was bummed about was not
losing all my baby weight by the wedding.
Oh well, it is what it is.


My wedding planning tips
Don’t stress over small details.
Something may go wrong and it’s ok.
Let. It. Go.

Delegate whatever you can.
I was stressed about addressing and mailing out my invitations. So my mother in law and I did them together. She helped me so much and it was a great way for me to spend time getting to know her better.

Don’t worry if you budget doesn’t allow for something like a DJ.
I was bummed at first but now that I think about it, we left our wedding at 8pm.
I didn’t have sore feet and I wasn’t over tired after our wedding.
It was nice to be with my husband and not crash on the bed out of exhaustion.

If you can’t afford a nice caterer go with your favorite restaurant.
It’s more personal and usually the food tastes much better!
My sister in law had Joe’s Barbeque for her wedding and my husband still talks about how good the food was at her wedding!!!

Spend more time at premarital counseling than planning your wedding.
Anthony and I had marriage counseling through a local counselor every week before our wedding (even before we were engaged).
It really has helped us and has been well worth the money.

I hope these ideas help you when you’re planning your wedding!
Today I am linking up with Kelly's Korner
Don't forget to enter the Ruby Jean Purse Giveaway!

Love,

Weekend Bloggy Reading
”Army
Sumo's Sweet Stuff




young and restless

Labels:

21 Comments:

At December 30, 2011 at 1:22 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Your wedding was beautiful and you were beyond gorgeous my dear! :) Need to keep these tips for one day! :)

 
At December 30, 2011 at 4:21 AM , Blogger Diane Writes said...

What a blessed and blissful wedding! I love looking at each picture and detail.

 
At December 30, 2011 at 6:57 AM , Blogger Milena said...

Thanks for the follow, returning the favor.

Beautiful pics!

 
At December 30, 2011 at 7:20 AM , Blogger Ashley said...

What a beautiful wedding! I can't believe you did all that with $2,000! Great job and that cake is gorgeous!

 
At December 30, 2011 at 8:42 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Melanie, I just wanted to thank you for visiting Christy's page and showing her some love during this aweful time she's going through.
Thanks for the great wedding on a budget tips! I have a son getting married and a daughter soon to follow!!
Blessings,
~Erin

 
At December 30, 2011 at 11:47 AM , Blogger Sharla said...

We had a great time at your wedding. I NEVER would have guessed that was your budget. Everything was so beautiful! And having Oregano's cater was brilliant- their food is the best. :)

 
At December 30, 2011 at 2:25 PM , Blogger Tami Marie said...

Loved this post! Oh my gosh...I read it and couldn't help smiling. You write so beautifully.

Keep it up. I can't wait to read more.

PS: I just downloaded 'Today was a Fairytale.' :)

New follower. SO happy that I found your blog.

Tami
http://www.thethingswefindinside.com/

 
At December 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM , Blogger Ashley said...

your wedding was lovely and you make a beautiful bride:)

 
At December 30, 2011 at 7:03 PM , Blogger Sarah {the fontenot four} said...

Your wedding looks absolutely beautiful. The photos are fabulous. I love the candy bar idea! The cake is gorgeous. You are simply beautiful. Everything looks lovely - I can't believe you pulled it together for so little money! :)

 
At December 30, 2011 at 7:17 PM , Anonymous The How To Mommy said...

Oh my gosh, what a gorgeous day! I'm so impressed. I love it all! Thanks for linking up to New Years New Followers blog hop!

 
At December 30, 2011 at 7:46 PM , Blogger Annie@Letters to Mo said...

Came over from the New Years hop. What beautiful wedding pictures! Your day looked amazing. It was my second marriage and we were both pretty broke at the time, so we got married at the courthouse and did a celebration with friends and family. In the end, you will always look back on your wedding day with wonder and joy, no matter how much or little you spend.

 
At December 30, 2011 at 7:59 PM , Blogger Kacie said...

I love this post, and the timing couldn't be more perfect. My fiancee and I have been engaged for 3 years now thanks to changing plans multiple times for moving/baby/moving. With a baby now, we're definitely planning on keeping things frugal.

Thanks for joining the New Year followers fest!

http://firefly-chasing.blogspot.com

 
At December 30, 2011 at 8:12 PM , Blogger Hilary said...

I think you look lovely in your pictures. And you obviously did an amazing job w/ your budget! I'm a new follower from followers fest.

--Hilary

http://daydreambeliever-hilary.blogspot.com/

 
At December 30, 2011 at 8:14 PM , Anonymous Ronni @ Anywhere Is said...

Hi! I found you at the hop! :D YAY HOP!

Anyway, your wedding was BEAUTIFUL. Seriously, when I saw you had a $2K budget, and then I saw the dress, I was like "How did she have any money left over after buying that dress?" It LOOKS like it costs thousands of dollars!

You looked gorgeous, and it's so nice to see that you can do a beautiful event like that on a budget.

Mine wasn't nearly as fancy, but it was a beach wedding and it worked for us. :) (I think we spent about $500)

 
At December 30, 2011 at 8:41 PM , Blogger Krista said...

thanks for joining in on my blog hop! i cant believe you had such a gorgeous wedding on such a small budget!

 
At December 30, 2011 at 8:58 PM , Blogger Kristen @ Confessions of a GDS said...

Awww! You definitely made the most of your money girl- props to you! We too had a very small budget for our wedding... your post kind of makes me want to relive it all over again :)

 
At December 30, 2011 at 9:44 PM , Blogger Amiee said...

I really enjoyed reading about your wedding! You did an excellent job at creating a wonderful wedding on a tight budget. Visiting you from Kelly's Korner :)

 
At December 30, 2011 at 10:59 PM , Blogger B's Mommy said...

YOU are amazing!! Beautiful wedding!

 
At December 31, 2011 at 10:09 AM , Blogger Mindy May said...

Beautiful!! My boyfriend and I plan on getting married in a few months ... probably 2 ... and our budget will be like yours. Thank you for sharing.

 
At December 31, 2011 at 3:13 PM , Blogger JDaniel4's Mom said...

You did an amazing job for a tight budget. Your wedding was beautiful!

 
At January 26, 2012 at 8:28 PM , Blogger Lauren said...

Getting married in 2013 and I needed to read this! Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home