This Page

has been moved to new address

Cooking with the kids - stuffed shells

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Keeping up with The Cantelmo's: Cooking with the kids - stuffed shells

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Cooking with the kids - stuffed shells

Our family loves pasta.
One of my favorite dishes is stuffed shells.
The girls don't really like the shells stuffed with ricotta cheese. 
So I don't make them very often. 
So Grace came up with an idea of stuffing the shells with meat sauce! And the girls loved them!!!
Here's what I did
I stuffed half of the shells with a ricotta cheese mixture 
and the other half with a meat mixture
Ricotta Cheese Stuffed Shells:
15 oz of ricotta cheese 
(You can use less if you are doing half and half, I had a ton of the mixture left over)
Garlic Salt to taste
1/2 cup of frozen spinach thawed
2 eggs
and lots of italian cheese (yes we love cheese)
Meat Stuffed Shells:
I cooked up some lean ground beef and mixed it with sauce
I made the sauce very thick in order to stay firm in the shell
I literally just mixed it together, so I don't have exact amounts

 *you are going to need extra sauce and cheese to put over the shells*
The girls helped me mix the spinach, egg, cheese, and ricotta cheese

While they did that I made the meat mixture
and preheated our oven to 350

and boiled the noodles

I had Grace spread tomato sauce onto the bottom of our casserole dish

Then I stuffed the shells. 
One side with meat sauce and another side with the ricotta mixture.
Next time I am going to put them into two different pans, 
as the ricotta mixture took an hour to cook
and the meat mixture took only 20-30 minutes if that. 

I made additional meat sauce

I covered the meat side with meat sauce and let it cook for about 30-40 minutes

Then I added cheese to the top for the last 20 minutes

Not the best presentation but this is how it turned out.
And they tasted so yummy!




Labels:

8 Comments:

At January 14, 2012 at 9:27 PM , Blogger Tami Marie said...

Oh gosh...I have been hungry for the last hour and now after reading this post, I am starving! LOL!

This looks yummy. I love Pasta myself. It's one of my favourite dishes.

xo
Tami

 
At January 14, 2012 at 10:26 PM , Blogger Cassie @ Live.Laugh.L0ve. said...

Looks so yummy! :)

 
At January 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM , Blogger Erin said...

I love ricotta cheese!! What a fun time as a family! :)

 
At January 15, 2012 at 5:41 AM , Blogger Meg@Domesticated-ish said...

Looks yummy! I love that you made them both in one pan, even though they didn't cook at the same rate. What I would have done is made a giant pan of each and had tons of leftovers that would eventually get thrown out. I trying to learn to cook on a smaller scale. And I can't wait until my son can help me in the kitchen!

 
At January 15, 2012 at 7:55 AM , Blogger Brigitte said...

This looks like a really yummy meal. Very easy too, and a meal I know my Lil Ladies will eat, and we can also prepare together!! :)
Thank you for this idea! I just love your blog!
Brigitte

 
At January 15, 2012 at 8:31 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

So yummy! Definitely trying it this week! :)

 
At January 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM , Blogger Ruby Jean said...

Oh we LOVE LOVE LOVE stuffed shells... So much so I haven't made them in FOREVER!!! LOL!! But I am thinking this needs to get put back on the DINNER Menu.. :)

 
At January 16, 2012 at 7:32 AM , Blogger Kara said...

How yummy!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home