This Page

has been moved to new address

Challenging 2's

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Keeping up with The Cantelmo's: Challenging 2's

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Challenging 2's

Parenting is the hardest job I’ve ever done.
Exhausting is an understatement.
Now I understand why my parents were so tired while I was growing up.
One of the harder stages (and I’m sure the teen years will be hard too)
is the two year old year.
I remember going through this with Grace and now we are going through the terrible challenging two’s with Olivia.
I remember when Olivia was a little baby and Anthony would say how well behaved she was. I would tell Anthony, “Oh you just wait…..”
It’s easy to know why God made our kids so darn cute? Right?
Look at this face. How can I not adore her?
She does the cutest most adorable little 2 year old.
Olivia has a pretend friend, loves Minnie Mouse and 
can’t get enough of animals and the Fresh Beat Band.
She loves to dance and do forward rolls.
She also challenges almost every single thing we tell her to do.
She won’t wear her shoes.
She kicks and screams when she doesn’t get her way.
And she tests and tests her boundaries.
She has learned to say, “I don’t like that.” “I don’t want that.”
And we can’t leave her by the front door because she has learned to escape.
Anthony and I love Olivia. So we correct her.
Over and over again.
We pray for lots of patience.
And we do it everyday all day long.
We set boundaries because it makes her feel safe.
We teach her how to act.
We pick our battles.
We praise her when she does when she does the right thing.
I try to help Olivia identify how she is feeling…frustrated, sad, upset or angry.
If she lashes out in anger she gets a consequence.
If she is just having a hard time using her words for how she’s feeling we try and help her come up with the words to use.
Usually this reduces or ends her tantrum.
If she is throwing a fit because she wants to wear polka dots and no hair bow.
I give in. It’s not a battle worth fighting.
My Olivia loves getting dirty.
Climbing, jumping, running, and taking all her clothes off. That’s her thing.
If she is safe and inside our home. I let her be a kid.
I don’t want to stifle her personality just because she’s a busy little bee that keeps her dad and me on our toes.
So everyday we hang in there because this is just a stage.
It’s a stage where she’s learning to push our family rules.
It’s a stage where she’s learning to express how she feels about life and it takes time for her to learn to use her words to do that.
It’s a stage where Anthony and I are learning how to parent Olivia 
the way that works for Olivia.
I have learned that each of my children’s personalities are incredibly different. It’s a blessing that they are different! And it keeps me on my toes and relying on God.

How did you survive a difficult parenting stage?
FindingBeautyintheOrdinary.com

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At March 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM , Blogger Marybeth Thielke said...

I love this post, and needed to read it today! My oldest is just 2 1/2 and I am going through all of these same things! Thank you for the inspiration and ideas :)

 
At March 25, 2012 at 2:34 PM , Blogger Allyson said...

This is such a sweet post!

Allyson
http://cupcakescandycanes.blogspot.com

 
At March 25, 2012 at 8:37 PM , Blogger Trisha @ Inspiration Laboratories said...

My Aiden (also two) says "I don't like that" or "I don't what this" all the time especially in relation to food. I find it funny that he will put the things he doesn't want on my plate. :)

 
At March 26, 2012 at 8:56 PM , Blogger Nessa Bixler said...

Hearing this is just what I needed. I have climbed under my dining room table to extricate my daughter so many times today for everything. Diaper changes, shoes on, nap time.... arg!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home